Pages

Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Easter Bunny Lie

Yes. We all know the lies about Santa Claus. Here in Holland the parents are even requested to lie twice in the same month as we also celebrate Sinterklaas. Apparently two different old, friendly, gandalf like men who happen to love giving presents to small children. One has elves and the other one black men that bring presents through the chimney hence being black like soot.
But I think the most unappreciated lie would be the Easter Bunny. Children don't believe in this dressed up Bunny and even parents neglect to bother to lie about him anymore.

But as long as I can remember my mother told me a story that tells her encounter with the Easter Bunny.

¨As a small child she woke up in the middle of the night hearing noises coming from the kitchen. When she popped her little head around the kitchen door to see who was there she saw him. Hopping around in her parent's kitchen, the Easter Bunny. Hop, Hop, hop, it did.¨

Now, I was already, as a child, highly skeptic and always thought, silly old mummy, thinking she saw the real Easter Bunny. ( It would have  been a whole different story if she would have said she had seen Santa.)

But I think about a year ago, I told the story with perhaps a little, mocking smile around my lips, to a friend while visiting my mother.
After repeatedly stating that my mother really reckons she saw the bunny my mother suddenly said to me:

Sarah, you do know it had to be a dream, right? I mean I really thought I saw it but we both know the Easter Bunny doesn't exist.

Astonished I looked at her. I could NOT believe she just said that!
And then I had a tantrum. Yelling, why she had told the story in the first place if she believed it wasn't true. Yelling that, although I knew he did not exist, I really believed my mother, really did believe, she saw the freaking Easter Bunny.

In the end I figured out I was disappointed. I needed my mother to keep up this incredible lie.
I actually was proud my mother saw the real Easter Bunny. Yes, I always thought it must have been a dream.
But even after realizing the two friendly men were lies, I still remain doubtful about the Easter Bunny. Not so much if he excited
or not, but whether my mother really believed she saw it.
It was the best lie she ever told because it made me doubt. But even though, I still believe, deep down, my mother, still believes she saw the REAL Easter Bunny. And that makes me happy!

Already wishing you a Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you reflection on the post! Thank you very much for reading and commenting! :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails