Pages

Friday, April 30, 2010

Queens Day

I stayed over at my dearest friend Charlotte (photo) (my two followers, and friend of more than 27 years!) and had a lovely evening yesterday, catching up. The alarm was set at 6 in the morning and after talking for hours we finally fell asleep.

Suddenly I was woken by the most horrible loud noise! Normally I wake up to a beautiful serene tune but she had an awful alarm that she did not even kill straight away. AAAH!

Waking up so blissfully at 6 made me feel just peachy. With my head still buzzing I stepped under the shower, making me feel more awake and ready for our task ahead.

- We did not dress in orange but most people go all out* -

* The colors of the Dutch flag are red, white and blue -- there's no orange at all. So what's the Netherlands' relationship (make that borderline obsession) with the color orange?

The answer: Orange is the color of the Dutch Royal Family. The lineage of the current dynasty -- the House of Oranje-Nassau -- dates back to Willem van Oranje (William of Orange). But while the color orange has royal roots in the Netherlands, today it symbolizes a broader pride in the country and in being Dutch.  (Thank you, Shannon McAllister)

At quarter to 7 she biked and I sat on the back of the bike and cycled into town. It was cold and wet. A real disappointment for everyone because the days before were beautiful. But for us it was perfect as that meant it wouldn’t be crowed.

We planned we would shop till we drop. And so we did. We had to walk back to the house to get the car -  we could just not hold all the bags - as soon as we parked the car and dropped our first load of we started another round in town. 3 more times we had to walk back to the car. Arms full, bags fully loaded, we looked at every plaid with treasures.

Well.. an already long story short; we bought a lot of LOVELY; PRECIOUS, BEAUTIFUL, GORGEOUS, WONDERFUL: ATTIC JUNK BEAUTIES!

When we came back at 2 we went to bed with achy feet…no scrap that….PAINFUL feet!!!, hurting shoulders and sleepy eyes. We fell asleep again and this time no alarm disturbing me when I woke….

Just drool and a wet pillow...

Happy Queensday Trixie aka Koningin Beatrix!

Some of my finds and Queens day pictures:




1 comment:

  1. This was such a fun day. Can't wait for next year!! hehe

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you reflection on the post! Thank you very much for reading and commenting! :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails